It is normal to wonder what the best theme for an escape room is. Since 2007 – when the first modern escape room was created by a publishing company called SCRAP in Kyoto, Japan – this kind of indoor entertainment became popular, because it challenges players to solve puzzles and riddles to escape in a certain time. The theme of an escape room can greatly impact the overall experience of the game and is often considered an important aspect of the design.
A cog in the wheel of the story
A well – crafted theme can help to immerse players in the experience and make them feel like they are truly a part of the story. The theme can also provide clues and hints for solving puzzles, making the game more challenging and engaging. For example, a murder mystery theme could include clues hidden in a crime scene, while a space – themed escape room might include puzzles related to astronomy or physics.
Differences in difficulty level
The theme of an escape room can also affect the level of difficulty. A horror-themed escape room might be more challenging for easily frightened players, while a more lighthearted theme such as a beach vacation might be more suitable for younger players or beginners.
Have fun with friends and relatives
Another important aspect of the theme in escape rooms is the ability to appeal to a wide range of players. A popular theme such as a bank heist or a haunted house can attract a diverse group of players, while a more niche theme such as a historical event or a specific movie can attract a more specific audience. This can help attract players to the game who are interested in the theme and may not have otherwise considered playing an escape room.
In addition, the theme can also be used to reflect the skill level of the game. A more complex and challenging theme such as a scientific laboratory or a prison break may be more suitable for more experienced players, while a simpler theme such as a road trip in the Balkans may be more suitable for beginners.
The criteria of the chosen ones
Choosing the right theme for an escape room is very important to its success. Check these tips in order to make a perfect choice:
○ Consider your audience: Who will be playing? Everyone has a different taste for a lot of things but remember: Age is quite an important thing to consider. For example, a horror-themed escape room might be more suitable for adults, while a more lighthearted theme such as an adventure in ancient Egypt is more suitable for younger players or families.
○ Match the theme to the skill level: A more complex and challenging theme such as a scientific laboratory or a prison break may be more suitable for more experienced players, while a simpler theme such as a wizard school may be more suitable for beginners.
○ Think about the location: The location of the escape room can also influence the theme. For example, if you are located in a historical building, a historical-themed escape room would be a good fit.
○ Reflect on the current trends: Take note of the current trends in popular culture and consider how they could be incorporated into your escape room theme. For example, if there is a popular movie or TV show that is relevant to the theme you are considering.
○ Go for the unique: Create a unique theme that stands out from the competition and make sure it’s not been done before. This will make your escape room more memorable and attract more customers.
○ Think about the puzzles: Make sure the theme fits with the puzzles and riddles you have planned. For example, a murder mystery theme could include clues hidden at a crime scene.
In summary, the theme of an escape room interacts an important role in the overall experience of the game. It can help to immerse players in the story, provide clues and hints for solving puzzles, and appeal to a wide range of players. A well-crafted theme can make the escape room more challenging and engaging, and can also reflect the skill level of the game. And do not forget that keeping these tips in mind, you can choose a theme that will enhance the overall experience of your escape room and attract a wide range of players.
Wanna keep in touch? Find us on: